Winter tips for growing your interior houseplants - When temperatures are fluctuating and the growing conditions are less than ideal, winter can be harsh on our houseplants. Lower light levels, shorter days, and dry air all work together to really put your plants through the paces.
The secret to keeping your plants thriving in the winter months is to adjust your plant maintenance routine and understand your tropical plant's seasonal needs. In this article, Avant Garden, LLC takes a look at some basic interior horticultural needs to provide your plants with top-notch care so you can help them flourish.
Indoor Tropical Foliage Plants
Maintaining your interior tropical foliage plant during the winter months requires careful care due to the shorter days, fluctuating temperatures, and drier less humid air. Here’s what you can do:
1. Mist Your Plants: Mist your indoor plants with a light spray two or three times a day as part of your winter plant maintenance routine. This will help your plants thrive during winter – particularly those that do well in humid conditions. If possible, place your plants near indoor water features or a humid part of your house, such as the bathroom.
2. Plants Need Light: Check your plant’s light requirements - low light, medium light, or high light See Avant Garden, LLC's Plant Selection by Light Requirement. Replicate their natural environment. Determining the lighting needs of your plants, make the best choice to help keep your plants growing healthy.
3. Reduce Watering: As with lighting, every plant has different water requirements. Do not over watering your foliage plants - when in doubt do not water! . Plant growth is much slower in the winter months, which means plants don’t need as much water. If you are not certain when to water your plants, simply feel the top two inches of the soil - if it feels cold, wet, and/or looks dark in color do not water. Remember - when in doubt do not water!
4. Dust Your Plants: Wiping your plants helps to get rid of particles that clog the leaf pores making it difficult for the plants to ‘breathe’. Giving them a quick wipe or a trip to the shower is an easy way to keep them looking clean and fresh while helping them grow.
5. Fertilize Your Houseplants: Plants, like people, need food, especially when they in their growing stages. Spring and summer are necessary feeding months; however during the winter, feeding is not necessary.
6. Prune Your Plants: To keep your plants looking their best, prune them with sharp scissors regularly. Start by removing dead leaves, limbs, and spent flowers on the plants. Also, trim back overgrown branches and stems.
7. Rotate Your Houseplants: A houseplant will always grow toward the light. To keep plants growing straight, rotate them a quarter of a turn as part of your watering routine.
Remember these tips to help you keep your plants growing healthy. If you would like a free consultation and/or to find out more about Avant Garden, LLC's plant maintenance tips, get in touch with us right now and talk to one of our plant experts.
OUR LIVING WALL
Built October 7, 2018
Our LIVING WALL is made up of 90 tropical foliage plants with five different varieties. We have included two varieties of Epipremnum aureum; jade and neon, commonly known as Pothos, a species of flowering plant in the family of Araceae.
Among the other air purifying plants in our LIVING WALL is the beautiful Pink Allusion Nephthytis Syngonium (Goose Foot Plant).
Currently we have our seasonal pink bromeliads with their striking, colorful foliage called Neoregelia. Bromeliads are a family of tropical plants that includes the pineapple. They are nearly all from Latin America and the Caribbean islands.
Nevertheless, our LIVING WALL has also been planted with a splatter of Crested Japanese Birdsnest Fern ‘Leslie’ Asplenium antiquum. Although they resemble lettuce- it is not recommended to ingest it.
Our LIVING WALL provides many benefits to our workplace and visitors. Most importantly, our LIVING WALL absorbs toxins (VOC emissions) and emitting oxygen for us to breathe. Plants have a calming effect too and raise efficiency by increasing concentration and productivity.
Avant Garden, LLC Announced as the Gold Winner in the Atrium and Conservatory Category in the 2018 International Interior Plantscape Awards
Valhalla, New York - August 7, 2018 - Avant Garden, LLC has been named a Gold Winner in the Atrium and Conservatory Category in the 2018 International Interior Plantscape Awards, was was presented the distinguished award at AmericanHort's Industry Premier Event, Cultivate '18, and event of the entire green industry, on July 15, 2018 at the Greater Columbus Convention Center in Columbus, Ohio.
The International Interior Plantscape Awards is the premier awards program in the United States recognizing the innovation and leadership within the green industry. Through the International Interior Plantscape Awards, interior plantscaping companies compete in various categories for recognition of excellence. Award categories include: Installation, Special Events & Holiday, and Technician Recognition.
Kathleen Neth, Interior Horticultural Designer at Avant Garden, LLC stated: "This Atrium project is one we are very proud to have undertaken. It would not have been possible without the creative efforts of Architect Matthew Holst, AIA, LEED AP SL Green Realty Corp. Great kudos also goes to the wonderful installations staff - all women - I might add: Joy DiBiase, Marcia Tooley, and Terrianne Davisson. For more information on the AmericanHort's 2019 International Interior Plantscape Awards please visity at www.americanhort.org. Applications for the 2019 awards will be open in the fall of 2018.
ABOUT AVANT GARDEN, LLC
Avant Garden, LLC is a full service interior plantscaping firm specializing in designing, installing, and maintaining beautiful interiorscapes and living walls. We offer the highest quality products and services in the industry.
Years of research behind our products and our materials methodology enable us to focus on providing our clients with a sustainable approach to creative living architecture so they can enjoy the aesthetic and environmental benefits of their interiorscapes and living walls for years to come. For more information visit www.avantgardenct.com or call us at (203) 746-7577.
The benefits of plants go far beyond just aesthetics. The ability to use plants as tools to improve the environment has been a concept employed for centuries. Here at Avant Garden, LLC we don't just create living walls - we create living ecosystems. We emulate natural plant communities and processes, providing ecosystem services which are severely lacking in urban environments. With careful design and planning, we can create efficient and effective living architecture that offers both service and amenity.
Since 1982, Interior Horticultural Designer, Kathleen Neth, and her staff provide interior landscaping in Connecticut. Avant Garden, LLC delivers lush, attractive plants and container designs for many leading building owners, property managers, and office managers throughout Westchester and Fairfield Counties.